The Wall Street Journal published a story on 2/18/2010 and the hazards of using ear candles to remove earwax. In the story titled "FDA: That Wax in Your Ear Shouldn’t Be a Burning Candle," the FDA states that:
"Consumers should steer clear of ear candles — hollow cones that are about 10 inches long and made from a fabric tube soaked in beeswax, paraffin, or a mixture of the two.”
In fact, the FDA has seized some ear candles and sent warning letters to three big manufacturers saying that such products weren’t approved in the U.S. Read the FDA info here.
In our office, we see about one patient a month where ear candles were used with disastrous results including:
1) Burns to the ear canal skin
2) Burns to the eardrum
3) Eardrum ruptures
4) Hearing loss due to wax from the candle
It is worth repeating... do NOT use ear candles.
Also, ear candling seems to do the opposite of removing wax. It tends to add to the ear canal debris. And the debris seen within the candle after use is actually debris from the ear candle itself. Watch this video demonstrating this.
Read the WSJ story here.
Read more about earwax and its treatment here.
If earwax is a big problem, try a liquid earwax removal substance like debrox.