September 03, 2010

Dr. Chris Chang... The Ex-Cellist...

I've had plenty of patients ask me about my musical background given my Eastman School of Music Diploma in Cello Performance hanging in my waiting room.

First off... I graduated from the Community Education Division of Eastman School of Music... Not the undergraduate or graduate program. However, it was a very fine education I received there which lasted from 1987-1992 (started playing the cello at age 5 until 24).

In order to receive this diploma (or perhaps a better term would be certificate), I had to complete a specified curriculum including music theory (levels 1-3), composition, music history, piano, chamber music, as well as the dreaded solo performances in Kilbourn Hall and Howard Hanson Hall... not just once, but several times a year.

While attending Eastman, I took private lessons from three awesome teachers including Polly Hunsberger, Ingrid Bock, and David Ying. I was pleased to see my first two teachers still playing with the Rochester Philharmonic Orchestra. Prior to Eastman, I took private lessons at a SUNY Geneseo college with Prof James Kirkwood.

Orchestra-wise, I participated with the Rochester Philharmonic Youth Orchestra, Greater Buffalo Youth Orchestra, and the New York All-State Orchestra. In college, I continued to play the cello with the Yale Symphony Orchestra as well as various chamber groups. I believe I played in my last concert in 1998 after which I pretty much stopped playing.

Some of my favorite cello pieces I played include Cello Concerto No. 1 by Saint-Saens and Cello Concerto in D minor by Lalo. The last cello piece I was working before "retiring" was Cello Concerto No. 1 by Haydn.

My most exciting moment playing the cello is perhaps Overture to Candide by Bernstein with the New York All-State Orchestra.

Another fine moment was Russian Easter Overture by Rimsky-Korsakov with the Greater Buffalo Youth Orchestra.

And yes... the picture posted here is my very own trusty cello... which usually hangs out in my closet, but opened up briefly for the purposes of this blog.

Here's my complete musical CV here.

Will I ever play again??? Well maybe... someday...
Fauquier blog
Fauquier ENT

Dr. Christopher Chang is a private practice otolaryngology, head & neck surgeon specializing in the treatment of problems related to the ear, nose, and throat. Located in Warrenton, VA about 45 minutes west of Washington DC, he also provides inhalant allergy testing/treatment, hearing tests, and dispenses hearing aids.


Banner Map

Pediatric Neck Masses

Adult Neck Mass Workup