Madeline also is not the only child who has undergone this revolutionary stem cell treatment. Apparently, there are ten other children who are being followed after undergoing similar stem cell infusion derived from banked cord blood.
It must be stressed that though Madeline's progress is quite amazing, it is still too early to say if this is a "bona fide" treatment for congenital hearing loss.
- Will the improvement continue and more importantly, last over years to decades?
- Will it work for other children?
- What is the expected hearing improvement with stem cell infusion?
- Will it treat ALL forms of nerve-damaged hearing loss?
- Does it have to be stem cells derived from cord blood or are stem cells derived from other sources possible (i.e., skin)?
- Can adults with non-congential hearing loss also benefit?