Shareholic Button

December 09, 2013

Tracheostomy Fire During Surgery Burning Patient

Image from Wikipedia
In early 2012, a surgeon was performing a trach (breathing hole in the neck) when the oxygen used during the procedure caught fire severely burning the patient. Apparently, the surgeon used an electrocautery device which most likely emitted a spark igniting the oxygen being given to the patient leading to the fire. [link]

What happened?

Tracheostomy procedures are performed typically in very sick patients who have been intubated for a prolonged period of time. Often, such patients require higher concentrations of oxygen than normal in order to maintain oxygen levels in the body.

Problem in this scenario is that higher concentrations of oxygen also mean a higher risk of accidental fire when using instruments that help stop bleeding like an electrocautery device.

During a tracheostomy, an opening is created in the windpipe (watch video below). This allows oxygen that is being given to the patient to leak out into the surgical field. If electrocautery is used in this oxygen rich environment, any spark from an electrocautery device can lead to ignition and a flash fire.


Typically, in order to minimize this risk of fire, the surgeon should avoid using any electrical instruments in the surgical field that may create a spark after entering into the airway. Cutting into the airway would allow oxygen to escape into the surgical field. That usually means meticulous surgical technique and controlling all bleeding BEFORE cutting into the airway. If possible, reducing the oxygen given to the patient as much as possible is also beneficial.

Nitrous oxide should be avoided as an anesthetic agent as it is also ignitable like oxygen.

If electocautery use is unavoidable after the airway is surgically entered, the endotracheal tube cuff should re-inflated and advanced past the tracheostomy incision. Vacuum suction should be applied to evacuate as much oxygen from the surgical field and if possible, a period of apnea while cautery is applied.


Source:
Revealed: The chief of surgery who set patient on fire when his electronic scalpel caused 'EXPLOSION' Mail Online. 5/6/12

References:
Airway fire during tracheostomy: prevention strategies for surgeons and anesthetists. Ann R Coll Surg Engl. 2001 November; 83(6): 376–380.

Fatal inhalation injury caused by airway fire during tracheostomy. Acta Anaesthesiol Scand. 2007 Apr;51(4):509-13.

Tracheostomal fire during an elective tracheostomy. Chang Gung Med J. 2005 Mar;28(3):186-90.


Fauquier blog
Fauquier ENT

Dr. Christopher Chang is a private practice otolaryngology, head & neck surgeon specializing in the treatment of problems related to the ear, nose, and throat. Located in Warrenton, VA about 45 minutes west of Washington DC, he also provides inhalant allergy testing/treatment, hearing tests, and dispenses hearing aids. Google+ Christopher Chang, MD Bio

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please be aware that our office rarely if ever replies to comments. Click to read why

Banner Map

VIDEO: How Does the Human Voicebox Work?