Normally, the cost to take this telephone hearing test is $8, but at least for the month of May 2014, it is free in celebration of "Better Hearing and Speech Month."
Here's how to take the test by phone:
- Find a quiet place to take the test that is free from distractions.
- If you hang up in the middle of your test, you will have to start from the beginning.
- Use a telephone that plugs into a wall-mounted jack. Please do not use a cell phone.
- Dial our toll-free number: 1-866-223-7575
- Listen to the recorded instructions.
- At the end of the test, write down your test results for each ear and the date. The categories are:
Of note, this method of testing was validated in Europe by scientists at VU University Medical Center in the Netherlands in 2004. The U.S. version began in 2008 with funding from the National Institute of Health and was validated in two studies performed at the Indiana University Hearing Clinic and the other in collaboration with clinics administered by the VA Health System.
If hearing is assessed to be abnormal, you can contact our office to undergo a more sophisticated hearing test for confirmation and next steps.
Take this hearing test right now. I did, and the results were disturbing. Washington Post 5/16/14.