Senator Harry Reid Suffers Facial Fractures
He is expected to return to work as planned on Jan 6, 2015.
In the vast majority of cases, most facial fractures do NOT require surgical repair. As such, Mr. Reid most likely will not require any surgical intervention and the facial features should heal without any sequelae.
With any facial or nasal fractures, the key elements that lead towards a decision for surgery are the following (not all-inclusive, but general pointers):
- Any functional deficit including inability to open and close the jaw.
- Change in your occlusion (the way your teeth come together).
- Double vision (blurry vision does not count).
- Cosmetic deformity due to facial fracture (bruising and swelling does not count).
- Change in your ability to breath.
The two main specialties able to assess whether surgery is required or not is ENT and Plastic Surgery as well as some oral surgeons.
Sen. Harry Reid Suffers Broken Ribs, Facial Bones. ABC News 1/2/15
Sen. Harry Reid breaks ribs, facial bones in exercising accident. The Week 1/2/15